Joint pain can throw your life out of gear. People affected by joint pain find it difficult to carry out their daily chores. Their mobility is restricted, and each movement seems painful. Arthritis refers to a group of conditions that affect the joints due to inflammation. Its most common symptom is joint pain. Several varieties of arthritis exist such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, and bursitis. The causes of these conditions vary with the type. Wear and tear of joints, immune system disorders, and other medical conditions are common causes of pain in the joints due to arthritis.
Treatment for joint pain varies depending upon the symptoms and their severity. One can opt for medication or home remedies to treat joint pain. Some people also take supplements and vitamins to ease joint pain. If one wants to get the best supplements for joint pain, they need to consider a variety of factors. Before taking supplements, consultation with a physician is essential. These supplements are capable of providing a moderate improvement in the symptoms of arthritis and inhibit its progression. Some supplements also have an anti-inflammatory effect on the joints, which will reduce any pain.
How to choose the best supplements for joint pain?
When it comes to joint pain supplements, one size doesn’t fit everyone. The best supplements for joint pain work for you only if they are chosen based on your health needs. Here are some tips to help you choose the best joint pain supplements as per your requirements:
- Scientific evidence: Look for clinical evidence that supports the supplement’s effectiveness in reducing joint pain. Do not go by the product’s reviews on the company’s website.
- Expected results: Each supplement produces different effects on different people. You need to be clear about what you expect from the supplement, and then consider factors like side effects, long-term usage effects, and value for money before making a choice.
- Ingredients: The safety and effectiveness of the supplements depend on its components. You need to scrutinize the ingredients before choosing a supplement for joint pain.
- Product reviews and feedback: Most products have customer reviews and feedbacks posted on various websites. You can use these as guidelines before making a choice.
Supplements that provide relief from joint pain caused by arthritis
In addition to the treatment of joint pain, one can also take supplements for getting relief from the pain and avoiding further deterioration of the condition. Here is a list of the best supplements for joint pain caused by arthritis:
- Glucosamine: This supplement is an effective analgesic. It also alters the symptoms of joint pain. The effect of this supplement, however, is not very pronounced. Research shows that glucosamine sulfate formulation is more effective when taken over six months and longer.
- Chondroitin: Supplements containing chondroitin sulfate produce an anti-inflammatory effect on the pathways in our body. Some clinical studies reveal that chondroitin slows down the progression of arthritis.
- Avocado soybean unsaponifiable(ASU): People who consume ASU supplements are able to manage their joint pain better. This supplement shows good results, especially with knee pain.
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs): Supplements containing PUFAs provide several health benefits. Studies show an overall reduction in joint pain because of these supplements. Moreover, people who consume these supplements require lesser amounts of pain relievers.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM): Clinical studies have shown that a 12-week course of MSM supplements leads to a significant reduction in the physical pain and immobility caused by arthritis. However, not much evidence is available regarding the side effects of this supplement or its interactions with other medicines.
- Omega 3 fatty acids: Supplements containing omega 3 fatty acids help control the inflammation caused by arthritis. The stiffness and pain associated with arthritis, especially due to rheumatoid arthritis, can be reduced through these supplements. Thus, these supplements are one of the best choices for joint pain.
- Green tea: It has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help in managing joint pain.
- Vitamin D: The levels of vitamin D in our body have a direct effect on joint pain and bone health in general. Supplements containing vitamin D are recommended for those suffering from the side effects of low vitamin D levels.
- S-adenosylmethionine (SAM-e): SAM-e is a potent pain reliever and anti-inflammatory agent. It stimulates cartilage growth, which in turn, slows down the progression of arthritis. This supplement is especially beneficial for treating joint pain caused by osteoarthritis.
- Boswellia serrata: Supplements containing boswellic acids have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects which can help reduce joint pain.
- Capsaicin: This supplement acts on the neurotransmitters that send pain signals to the brain. It is known to show pain-relieving capabilities in those affected by osteoarthritis.
- Turmeric: Curcumin or turmeric is a naturally occurring plant substance that has excellent anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. Supplements containing curcumin have shown long-term improvements in pain and functionality of joints affected by arthritis.
- Cat’s claw: It is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent that also benefits the immune system, making it one of the best supplements for providing relief from joint pain due to arthritis.
- Gamma linolenic acid: This is an omega 6 fatty acid that is converted into an anti-inflammatory chemical by our body.
The ideal treatment for joint pain is a combination of medicines and home remedies. One can choose the best joint supplements for their condition after considering the factors mentioned above. The effectiveness of supplements varies, and not everyone will find a particular supplement useful. Thus, you can try different options after consulting a doctor.