Hemorrhoids, or piles, is a medical condition where the blood vessels in the anus inflame and cause pain and discomfort to the individual. With time, these blood vessels swell up and enlarge in size, causing further inconvenience. Mostly, people around the age of 50 years tend to face this problem. Hemorrhoids might occur due to strain during excretion or pressure sustained by the veins due to obesity or pregnancy. The pain can either be internal or external. Although there are medical treatments to cure this condition, one can try various home remedies if they don’t wish to opt for medical treatment immediately. This article provides some home remedies that can help patients deal with the problem of hemorrhoids as well as its symptoms like itching.
How to get rid of hemorrhoids using home remedies?
The home-based treatments mentioned below have helped innumerable people and will help you as well if you follow them correctly:
- Essential oils: Essential oils play a significant role in reducing the size of the blood vessels, and it stops itching too. These oils have anti-inflammatory properties which are vital for getting relief from the burning sensation created around the affected area. One can use several types of essential oils for treating hemorrhoids such as chamomile oil, tea tree oil, geranium oil, lavender oil, peppermint oil, juniper oil, and so on. These oils have several nutrients and vitamins which enhance a patient’s overall health. However, you must consult a doctor before using any of these oils.
- Sitz shower or bath: If you want to know how to get rid of hemorrhoids using home remedies, then you must give this method a try. The affected person should sit in lukewarm water to get relief from the itching and pain caused in the lower regions of the body. Several doctors and medical professionals recommend sitz baths to get rid of hemorrhoids.
- Ointments: Several ointments can be used to get rid of the problem of hemorrhoids. Some of them even reduce the swelling and promote faster healing. However, do not apply any random cream or ointment, based upon an internet search. Consult a doctor to get a prescription for the right products that can help you get rid of hemorrhoids.
- Ice packs: Ice packs are one of the best home remedies that can reduce swelling caused by hemorrhoids. If you experience inflammation and swelling around the affected area, then you can try placing an ice pack at that spot for 15-20 minutes to get temporary relief from the problem.
Here are some dietary and lifestyle changes that can help heal hemorrhoids faster:
- Drink plenty of water: Drinking adequate water can help in keeping the body and skin healthy and hence is recommended by several health specialists. Drinking plenty of water not only keeps the body hydrated but also flushes out the toxic substances, thus reducing the risk of acidity problems. One must consume around six to eight glasses of water every day to keep the digestive system healthy and promote better bowel movements.
- Consume fiber-rich foods: People whose diet consists of food that have little or no fiber are more likely to face the problem of hemorrhoids. Consuming fiber is not only beneficial for treating hemorrhoids, but it also promotes a patient’s overall health. Fiber-rich food facilitates regular bowel movements. Some of the most preferred fiber-rich foods are fruits such as pears, raspberries, and bananas, vegetables like peas, broccoli, and artichoke, legumes such as lima beans, lentils, and split beans, and whole grains like oatmeal, barley, and brown rice.
- Laxatives: Laxatives are food or medicines that assist in smooth bowel movements. Usually, people who are facing constipation problems take such medications. You must consult a medical professional to get a prescription for the right amount of laxatives.
- Exercise regularly: Whether or not you are suffering from any health condition, regular exercise is a must. Exercise keeps the digestive system healthy. You don’t need to indulge in heavy activities. Mild exercises with light weights and yoga postures including stretching can do the job.
When should one seek medical assistance?
When people think of “how to get rid of hemorrhoids,” the first thought that strikes their mind is seeking a doctor’s help. There are some instances when a person suffering from hemorrhoids must see the doctor as soon as possible. If you face blood loss due to hemorrhoids, then you should talk to a doctor without any delay. Although external hemorrhoids can be treated with the application of ointments, essential oils, and creams, internal hemorrhoids, in some extreme cases, need to be treated with surgeries. Hence, one must take some precautions from the start to ensure that the problem of hemorrhoids does not get worse.